Translation Process: ASL to English
Looking for a way to strengthen your comprehension of ASL and build on the strength of your English? Try this free course from the CATIE Center and join with other novice interpreters who are also on the journey toward certification.
2021 GTC Journey Tracks for Hearing Interpreters
The February offering for the GTC Journey Track for Hearing interpreters is a course focused on translating ASL texts into English. The course will have active facilitation until February 28.
This online introduces the process of translation working between two languages with the ability to take the time to analyze, review, revise, and go through a Quality Assurance process. Effective translations fall on a continuum between literal and idiomatic and are created as part of a team that provides multiple perspectives. Learn what this looks like and how context and audience helps to determine how a translation should be crafted for different purposes. This workshop will guide you through a translation process and then support you in doing it on your own. Translation can be both a foundational skill that supports your understanding of language – as well as a useful skill to be part of your future practice.
Successful participants will be able to:
- describe the continuum of translations from very literal to unduly free;
- compare and contrast two processes for creating translations;
- identify the audience and context for translations;
- draft, revise, and polish translations of at least two ASL texts.
- compare and contrast translations to other participants’ work.
Certificate of Completion & CEUs
This course is being offered for CEUS through RID’s ACET program. (For certified members in the CMP program, this is not an opportunity for you to earn CEUs as the focus of the Journey track is for novice interpreters working toward certification.)
RID CEUs are sponsored by the St. Catherine University, an approved RID sponsor for continuing education activities. This activity has been approved for .5 CEUs in professional studies and assumes some knowledge content.
Join the Canvas Course
To join the free Translation Approach: ASL to English:
- If you already have a free Canvas account, use: https://canvas.instructure.com/enroll/EJ3EFF.
- If you need to create a free Canvas account, https://canvas.instructure.com/register and use the following join code: EJ3EFF