Developed by Mark Halley
Competencies Addressed: Cultural competency , prediction Skills, Comprehension: ASL discourse
Time Required for Activity: 10 mins
To use background knowledge and cultural competency to predict content in an ASL text.
In this video, Ronald Hartman provides testimony to a government official about his experience using Video Relay Interpreting (VRI) in a medical setting.
You will watch a video in which Ronald Hartman provides testimony to a government official about his experience using Video Relay Interpreting (VRI) in a medical setting. Knowing what others have told you about VRI, predict what he might have to say about his experience. Consider both the potential positive and negative effects of using VRI instead of an on-site interpreter.
Check Your Work
This is how Ronald described his experience using VRI.
- Medical staff struggled to set up the machine
- Medical staff blamed static in the room
- The ER physician was not interested in using VRI
- They ended up using speech and speechreading instead
- Medical staff working with VRI were unqualified to operate it
- Medical staff asked others for help, but no one knew how